Improve Your A/C Efficiency
Keeping your central air conditioner running at peak efficiency is a key to lower bills for you and a longer life for your cooling equipment. The question is, what are the most effective ways to do it?
Here are nine of the best bets for getting the most from your central air conditioner this summer.
- Clean and clear your vents – Blocked airflow is the enemy of efficiency, so be sure to keep vents free and clear. This includes cleaning dusty or fur-coated vents with soap and water and making sure they are free of obstructions such as drapes, furniture, or other items.
- Close all windows and doors – Like you mom used to say, “we’re not paying to cool the neighborhood!” Keep hot air out and cool air in by making sure all doors and windows are closed when you use your A/C.
- Make sure your thermostat is in the right spot – If your thermostat is installed next to a sunny window or an oven, it will think your home is hotter than it actually is, and it will keep your A/C running for longer as a result. If your thermostat is poorly positioned, contact us – we’ll move it for you.
- Make your home air-tight – As much as 15 percent of the air you paid to cool can escape via leaks around windows and doors. Use caulk and weatherstripping to reduce leaks and keep the cool air in.
- Program your thermostat – You’ll typically save anywhere from one to three percent on your home cooling bill for every degree you raise the temperature in your home. The easiest way to do that as imperceptibly as possible is with a programmable thermostat. If you don’t have a programmable thermostat, consider installing one – if used correctly, it will pay for itself in a year or two.
- Shade your outdoor condenser unit – Outdoor heat will make your condenser unit work harder, which is why it’s smart to keep the unit out of the direct sun. Just be sure not to obstruct the airflow in any way.
- Stay on top of air filter changes – Dirty filters don’t only reduce your indoor air quality, they also reduce airflow, making your air conditioner work overtime to keep you cool. Check and change your filters often, especially if you have pets that shed.
- Consider supplemental cooling options – Ductless mini-split air conditioners are a great source of supplemental cooling for a home with a recent addition or a room that is particularly difficult to cool. A simple ductless set up can take some of the cooling burden off your central A/C, saving you money on your overall bill.
- Get your equipment professionally serviced – One of the best things you can do for the efficiency of your central air conditioner is to keep it properly maintained. Annual service by a knowledgeable technician will make sure that everything is working properly and that your equipment is working at its best. Be sure to give your central air conditioner a COMPLETE once-over every year!
Things are heating up here in Massachusetts – be sure to schedule your air conditioning service before the heat waves arrive! Contact Tom Fricker Complete Heating & Cooling today to request routine air conditioning maintenance in Norfolk and Middlesex counties!