Do You Need A Professional HVAC Contractor?
How to know when to call in the pros for your AC
It can be difficult to know when the right time to call in a professional HVAC expert. After all, many basic maintenance tasks can be handled at home, so if something goes wrong, you may want to troubleshoot on your own before reaching out to a technician. How can you tell whether a visit from a pro is necessary to assess your equipment and address any issues? Read on to learn about what to look for, and when it’s a good idea – or not! – to dabble with DIY tasks.
DIY or call in the pros?
Some of the most common problems homeowners encounter with their HVAC systems can be addressed with a little DIY care and attention, but the more serious issues will need professional help before they grow into bigger, more expensive problems. Consider the following when your AC is experiencing problems like:
- A thermostat malfunction: If your thermostat is failing to communicate properly, your AC may not be cooling adequately to your desired temperature. It could be due to anything from loose wiring, to old batteries, to a stuck thermometer or a failed sensor. Try changing your batteries and then rebooting your thermostat. If that doesn’t kick it back into gear, it’s time to call in the pros.
- Low refrigerant levels: Air conditioners rely on coolant to bring temperatures down, and it needs to be replaced on occasion. Environmental regulations mandate that the old standard refrigerant R-22, or freon, has been phased out and only recycled or recaptured R-22 is now available. Whether your system is already using modern refrigerant or you have a decades-old system, you’ll need to have a professional handling the refresh or upgrade.
- A wiring or electrical problem: Like all electrical equipment, your AC system needs to be plugged in securely, and the wiring needs to be fresh and not frayed, tangled, or loose. Most laypeople can handle checking that their system is plugged into the outlet properly, but anything beyond that is going to require a pro with electrical expertise. Just say no to DIY electrical work – yikes!
- You’ve sprung a leak: A leak in your system lets coolant escape. You may notice freezing along the lines going to the coils, hear a hissing noise from air or coolant escaping the hose, or notice that your energy bills are sky-high. Leave the hose replacement to the expert HVAC technicians!
- A clogged or dirty air filter: Replacing your air filter is an easy task – and also one of the most neglected. The good news is that it’s a simple, inexpensive fix – and you can do it yourself! When your filter is obstructed by dirt and debris, the cold air you want circulating in your living quarters can’t pass through. Ditch your old filter and pop in a new one! You can even give us a call, and we’ll walk you through it.
- AC compressor going bad: If the air conditioner is blowing lukewarm air or making a racket when attempting to cool down your home, this may spell trouble for the AC compressor. This is a complex job for the professionals to handle.
TF Complete Heating & Cooling repairs air conditioners COMPLETELY
No matter what’s going on with your HVAC system, your friends at TF Complete Heating & Cooling will be available whenever you need us. Contact us today for help assessing whether you can troubleshoot the issue yourself, or need to work with one of our experts. Serving Bristol, Worcester, Middlesex, and Norfolk counties, we are here for you!
If it might be time to upgrade, learn about rebates and financing opportunities on installations. Many Energy Star–rated air conditioning systems are eligible for rebates from Mass Save!