Save On A/C Bills With These Five Efficiency Tips
We’ve reached the halfway point of summer here in MA – which is either good or bad news, depending on how much you like the heat. Either way, experts say there’s more scorching weather coming the rest of the season– which means lots of A/C time, and the high energy bills that come with it.
If you want to keep your electric bills as low as possible in the coming weeks, here are five great ways to do it.
- Program your thermostat – Use your programmable or smart thermostat to make the house slightly warmer when no one is home or when everyone is sleeping; you’ll save three to five percent per day on air conditioning bills for each degree you raise the thermostat, according to the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy.
- Shoot for 78 – When people are home, aim for a temperature of about 78 degrees – a temperature that the Department of Energy says will best balance comfort and energy savings. Use ceiling fans to supplement your A/C – moving air feels cooler.
- Check and change/clean your air filters – A dirty HVAC air filter reduces airflow, making your air conditioner work harder; that chronic overwork will raise your bills and make your equipment more vulnerable to wear and tear.
- Make smart investments – Fixing air leaks by adding door sweeps, caulking windows and replacing rotted weather stripping around door jambs can make a big dent in your home cooling bill without breaking the bank. Longer-term investments like adding insulation, installing seasonal window treatments and sealing ducts can also do wonders.
- Maintain your equipment – Take care of A/C problems A.S.A.P. – the longer you put off air conditioning service, the costlier your repair will likely be. If you skipped annual maintenance this year, it’s not too late to schedule a service call and get your cooling system back up and running at peak performance.
If your cooling system needs repairs or maintenance – or if you want to upgrade to a top quality high-efficiency ductless A/C or central air conditioning system – TF Complete can help. Contact us today to learn more – or get a FREE, no-obligation estimate from our team of home cooling experts!