Should You Switch to a Tankless Water Heater?
On-demand water heaters pay off big with superior efficiency.
Sometimes, it makes sense to go for the less expensive option when making a purchase. You don’t always need a pair of $200 designer sunglasses or the priciest Kobe-style cut of beef. However, some higher-cost purchases can be better value because they are investments that save you money for years to come. Some examples include a car with good gas mileage or higher-quality shingles that last longer than cheaper alternatives.
Water heaters are another good example. Traditional storage tank water heaters are generally less expensive than tankless water heaters. However, making an upfront investment in a more advanced hot water system can save you money in the medium to long term. The Tom Fricker team can help you determine if that investment is worth it when it’s time for a water heater replacement.
How Tankless Water Heaters Work
As you might imagine, a tankless water heater doesn’t have a storage tank of water it deploys throughout your home. These are on-demand systems that produce hot water only when you need it. Here’s a general rundown of how a tankless water heater works:
- The unit detects that you’ve opened a hot water tap. Its flow sensor activates to determine the amount of hot water needed.
- The water heater’s igniter activates, and the flame comes on, calibrated to the intensity you need.
- Cold water is preheated in the secondary heat exchanger, and the preheated water passes from the secondary to the primary heat exchanger.
- Heated water moves to the buffer tank and then to your faucet or fixture.
The Benefits of Tankless Water Heaters
When you upgrade to a tankless system, you can enjoy numerous home comfort and budget advantages. These benefits include:
- Superior hot water generation. With a trusted partner like TF Complete Heating & Cooling, you can find a tankless system that’s perfectly sized to your needs. We’ll ensure your tankless water heater can accommodate the peak flow of your fixtures and appliances.
- High energy efficiency. According to the Department of Energy (DOE), tankless systems are up to 34% more efficient than storage tank units. You won’t be expending energy to heat and reheat a tank of unused water anymore. As a result, your annual hot water costs (roughly 18% of your home energy use, per the DOE) will drop considerably.
- Longer service life. The average storage-tank water heater lasts about 10 years before needing to be replaced. Tankless water heaters can last up to 20 years with proper maintenance. That’s a lot of additional hot water for your investment!
- Space savings. Tankless water heaters are compact, typically the size of a small suitcase. You can reclaim some storage space in your house.
TF Complete Heating & Cooling upgrade water heaters!
When homeowners in Worcester or Middlesex County need to upgrade their hot water equipment, they know to trust the TF Complete Heating & Cooling team. We perform countless water heater installations every year. We sell top-of-the-line tankless products and can even help you make your upgrade more affordable with financing and financial incentives.
Don’t wait — reach out to our team today for a free estimate on a new water heater.