What Does An AFUE Rating Mean? | TF Complete

What Does An AFUE Rating Mean?

AFUE Is a Type of Energy Efficiency Rating Used for Furnaces and Boilers

afue rating massachusetts

AFUE, an acronym for Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency, is a type of energy efficiency rating used for furnaces and boilers, including those fueled by natural gas. The AFUE number—usually found on a yellow sticker attached to your heating system—represents how much of the fuel your equipment consumes is being directed toward producing heat for your living space.

For example, in a heating unit with an 85% AFUE unit, 85% of the fuel consumed by the heating system goes toward heating your home; the remaining 15% is lost in the combustion process—usually getting wasted up the chimney.

Another way to think about AFUE is to consider it in terms of the dollars you spend on fuel. In an 85% AFUE furnace, 85 cents of every dollar go toward heating your Massachusetts home. But if your gas-powered furnace or boiler is old and not well maintained, your actual AFUE could drop into the 60s or even 50s. This is a big reason why the decision to upgrade your heating equipment often pays for itself fairly quickly.

Today’s advanced equipment operates with improved efficiency, so you use less energy to keep your home comfortable. You’ll also see savings on maintenance and repairs when you update your system. And a service plan will mean that it keeps working efficiently with few problems.

AFUE Is Only Part of the Story

Knowing the AFUE rating remains an important bit of information when it comes time to invest in new high efficiency home heating equipment. Of course, AFUE doesn’t tell the whole efficiency story – proper heating system installation and periodic heating system maintenance are also extremely important pieces of the equation, as are several other factors.

Efficiency ratings can be a good general starting point, but it’s important to remember that the tests to determine AFUE are all done in a laboratory. Efficiency performance is only as good as your installer. Equipment needs to be installed to the manufacturer’s specifications so you can get the best performance and value for your investment.

Reliable Equipment Service From the Industry’s Best Service Technicians

At TF Complete, we employ only the best, most qualified technicians to ensure each and every installation—or repair–is completed to the highest standards every time. All of our technicians are knowledgeable, skilled, professional and courteous and will take the time to explain your repair or installation options to you before they begin.

Our technicians receive ongoing education and training on all heating makes and models and are trained to work on a range of heating equipment, including boilers and furnaces. Our team is able to provide expert solutions for even the most difficult home comfort challenges with your satisfaction our number one priority.

Give us a call or contact us here and ask for a comprehensive heating system evaluation. We’ll give you an honest assessment and help you make the right choice for your needs and your budget.

The pros at TF Complete Heating & Cooling are here to serve Massachusetts homeowners in Bristol, Worcester, Middlesex and Norfolk counties and the surrounding areas. Contact us today to for honest advice and reliable service for installing and maintaining the heating system that makes most sense for you.

mail Contact us today to schedule a routine maintenance visit. If you need an emergency repair, please call our office right away at 508-507-6702, and we will get to your home as soon as we can.